WHAT IS DIRECT ACCESS?
• DIRECT ACCESS (DA): REFERS TO THE ABILITY OF PATIENTS TO BE EVALUATED AND TREATED BY A PHYSICAL THERAPIST WITHOUT BEING REFERRED BY A DOCTOR. NO PRESCRIPTION IS NEEDED.
• If you feel you have a problem, pain or injury that may benefit from the skilled services of a physical therapist, you may be able to refer yourself to physical therapy for treatment. Once evaluated the therapist will determine if further evaluation or treatment is needed.
• DIRECT ACCESS IN NEW YORK STATE: MOST PRIVATE INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR UP TO 10 TREATMENTS IN A 30 DAY PERIOD WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION. If further treatment is needed the patient may contact a doctor for prescription to continue care.
• MEDICARE PATIENTS CAN NOT BE EVALUATED OR TREATED WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION.
• At MARY LOU CORCORAN PHYSICAL THERAPY, all of our therapists are DA certified. Our DA certified therapists are qualified to evaluate your condition and begin the much needed treatment immediately.
Simply stated, the sooner an injury is treated, the quicker the recovery. Waiting for an appointment with a physician can impede the healing process because effective treatment is delayed. Injured muscles and joints get stiff, weak and scar tissue can develop. More importantly, you are not able to do the activities you want to do.